- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup beer
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 24 shrimp
- 3 cups oil for frying
- In medium bowl, combine egg, 1/2 cup flour, beer and baking powder. Place 1/4 cup flour and coconut in two separate bowls.
- Hold shrimp by tail, and dredge in flour, shaking off excess flour. Dip in egg/beer batter; allow excess to drip off. Roll shrimp in coconut, and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oil to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) in a deep-fryer.
- Fry shrimp in batches: cook, turning once, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Using tongs, remove shrimp to paper towels to drain. Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
- 1 pound crabmeat
- 2 slices white bread, crusts trimmed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning TM
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Pick the crab meat to remove any remaining pieces of shell.
- Pick bread into small pieces and place in medium-size bowl with crabmeat. Add egg, mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and Old Bay seasoning ™. Mix ingredients by hand to avoid overworking the crabmeat, you want to keep the lumps of meat as much as possible. Form into patties; this should make 6 good-size cakes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet, then fry cakes for about 4 minutes each side or until brown crust forms on both sides of the crab cake.
Japanese Chicken Wings
- 3 pounds chicken wings
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour for coating
- 1 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cut wings in half, dip in egg and coat with flour.
- Heat butter in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Fry wings until deep brown. Place in a shallow roasting pan.
- In a small bowl combine soy sauce, water, sugar, vinegar, garlic powder and salt. Pour over wings.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes, basting wings with sauce often.